We have transitioned Ask Trevor into a broader, more effective resource for LGBTQ young people and their allies.
Please check out our new FAQ page here: http://TrevorSupportCenter.org
Hi! I was just hoping for a little advice. You see, I was elected Vice President for my high school’s Gay Straight Alliance club, and I was wondering if you could give me a little bit of advice on how to manage the group, as well as maybe giving me some ideas for activities, fundraisers, and events. It would be a big help
Letter submitted by:
First of all, congratulations! Not only are you a part of such an amazing club but you have the chance to make an impact on club members, your school, and your community. It’s great to see you embracing who you are and wanting to help others be the same. The important thing to remember is that everyone is there for a reason and the bond between you all is remarkable. You will want to create a sense of community and safe space for everyone to be themselves and talk about issues that are important to them. As a leader you want to be an example to your fellow club members and always offer your support. It’s also important to be organized – take notes in meetings, make a calendar with meetings, events, etc., and split up tasks among club members when planning events and activities.
As far as activities and events go a good thing to do in the beginning of the school year is to have a “mini-retreat” where you can get to know your team members and just have some fun. This could be having a mini road trip, movie and pizza night, bowling, or whatever you guys want to do. You could also do these kinds of activities once a month to continue building relationships. Below I’ve listed some ideas for activities, fundraising, etc. but I’m sure your club can also come up with some awesome ideas!
Fundraising (How to plan an event: http://gsanetwork.org/resources/gsa-actions-events/planning-events)
- Selling rainbow pastries (cakes, cupcakes, cookies)
- Ask local businesses if they will support fundraisers. For example, Jamba Juice donates 20% of all the purchases made during a specific period of time. This is a great way to get the community involved.
- A silent auction where local businesses and individuals donate items to be auctioned off.
- Organize local bands or performers to do a show
- Get involved in any local LGBTQ events happening in your area
- Movie night, watch favorite TV show, board game night
- Host a BBQ or picnic
- Plan a Pride dance (Pride Prom!) – This could also be used as fundraising event
- Camping or hiking trip
- Create a sports team – softball, kickball, flag football (can be with other clubs at school)
- Get together with other GSAs around you and you can share ideas and maybe plan a larger invent
- Host an awareness day at your school – speakers, booths, workshops, entertainment, etc.
This is a link to a great site that provides even more resources for how to lead a GSA group, getting more members, fundraising, and so much more. Check it out: http://gsanetwork.org/resources
Again, congratulations and good luck with everything you do!