Ask Trevor

We have transitioned Ask Trevor into a broader, more effective resource for LGBTQ young people and their allies.

Please check out our new FAQ page here:

Seeking Asylum for foreigners.


Dear Trevor,

I am from a country in the Middle East that prosecutes and executes homosexuality! I contacted you via a letter to help me what to do and I got an email back but no one could really help me except telling me that I have to hang on! Anyways after many many hardships I was able to come to USA as a student. I am studying but I can not support myself anymore. Going back for me is going back deep in the hole. And I can not come out easily because it is going to affect a lot of people related to me. When I wanted to file for asylum I could not get any help because everybody says it is impossible. And I don’t have the money to pay a Lawyer. I really need help! I did my the best that I could and came here but right now I need help from this country!


Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry that our first response was not helpful, and I’m glad that you wrote again. It as very brave of you to come to the USA as a student.

You said that you are seeking asylum because the country you are from prosecutes homosexuality. Immigration Equality is a legal organization headquartered in New York City that helps LGBT foreigners trying to immigrate. In addition to providing information about seeking asylum on their website at Immigration Equality uns a pro bono asylum project in which they match low-income asylum seekers with volunteer attorneys to represent them. Your letter didn’t mention where in the USA you are located. Many law schools have Immigration Clinics. If you are located near a law school, you can try to reach out to the school to see if they have any clinics that can help with your situation. You can locate the law school nearest to you at Additionally, you can find local legal organizations that focus on immigration issues that provide free legal services at You also mentioned that you were a student and that you were running out of money. Many colleges and universities in the US have a Student Affairs department that works to help students in crisis. There may be administrators at your school who would be able to help or direct you to local resources to help you stay in the US. If your school has a Multicultural Student Affairs office or a International Student office, you could try reaching out to them for suggestions.

I’m really sorry that you are going through such a difficult time, and wish you the best of luck in finding a way to remain in the United States. You are very brave to be fighting for your rights, and I hope you are successful. If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to, you can call the Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386. Someone is available 24/7 to speak with you.